On September 11, 2017, FDA announced a list of methods they deem equivalent to 1603. The eight equivalent tests recognized by FDA are:
- Method 1103.1 – Escherichia coli (E. coli) in Water by Membrane Filtration Using membrane-Thermotolerant Escherichia coli Agar (mTEC) (March 2010). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. EPA-821-R-10-002.
- Method 1604 – Total Coliforms and Escherichia coli in Water by Membrane Filtration Using a Simultaneous Detection Technique (MI Medium) (September 2002). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. EPA-821-R-02-024.
- 9213 D – Natural Bathing Beaches (2007). In: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 22nd Edition (Rice E.W., et al., Ed.), 9-46 – 9-48. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association. (2012).
- 9222 B – Standard Total Coliform Membrane Filter Procedure (1997), followed by 9222 G – MF Partition Procedures (1997) using NA-MUG media. In: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st Edition (Eaton A.D., et al., Ed.), 9-60 – 9-65, and 9-70 – 9-71, respectively. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association. (2005).
- D 5392-93 – Standard Test Method for Isolation and Enumeration of Escherichia coli in Water by the Two-Step Membrane Filter Procedure. In: Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Volume 11.02. ASTM International. (1996, 1999, 2000).
- Hach Method 10029 for Coliforms – Total and E. coli , using m-ColiBlue24® Broth PourRite Ampules.
- IDEXX Colilert® Test Kit , but only if using IDEXX Quanti-Tray/2000 for quantification.
- IDEXX Colilert-18® Test Kit , but only if using IDEXX Quanti-Tray/2000 for quantification.
More information can be found at the FDA website.